The St. John's Cemetery
With its unique flora and fauna in a small space, the Johannisfriedhof is an oasis in the middle of the city of Jena. The Johannisfriedhof was first mentioned in a
document in 1307.
There are 1045 graves in the cemetery, which can be assigned by name and location. Many important personalities of the city of Jena and the university, especially from the period between the 17th and 20th centuries, have been laid to rest here.
There are also some graves from the baroque period, with the typical features: skull, hourglass, grim reaper and butterfly.
St. John's Cemetery was originally located at the gates of Jena and belonged to the Catholic parish church of St. John the Baptist of the village of Leutra. It extended from today's Wagnergasse uphill towards the north. With the Reformation, the Catholic parish church became a Protestant funeral chapel, which increasingly fell into disrepair from the 17th century. Napoleon donated the parish church of Johannis Baptist in 1806 to the Catholic community around the French emigrant Gabriel Henry.
Today's Friedenskirche, is a Protestant Baroque building. It was rebuilt in 1686-1693 as the Herzog Johann-Georg-Kirche in the middle of the cemetery when Jena was an independent duchy for 18 years. In 1743 this church was assigned to the garrison congregation, which is why it bore the name Garrison Church until 1946.
The cemetery had to be extended several times over the centuries. The walls inside the cemetery, which used to be outer walls, testify to this.
Due to the construction of the road, today's Straße des 17. Juni, in 1938 the cemetery with the Lutheran Friedenskirche was separated from the Catholic church Johann Baptist. Grave plaques and sculptures were moved to the Friedenskirche. The cemetery was placed under monument protection on 13.5.1981.
Since 2014, a support association Jena e.V. supports the parish in the maintenance of the historic cemetery.
© Ch. Apfel
Karl Julius Guyet (1802 - 1861)
Karl Julius Guyet was born on March 11, 1802 in Homburg v. d. Höhe. His father was a French captain. He attended the Gymnasium in Heidelberg and also studied law from 1818 in Heidelberg. as well as at the University in Berlin. He received his doctorate in 1823 in Heidelberg and in the same year followed his habilitation, also in Heidelberg. There he was appointed associate professor in 1827.
In 1836 Guyet accepted the appointment as full professor and Oberappelationsgerichtsrat in Jena, and in 1843 he was appointed Geheimer Justizrat.
From 1839 he was elected Rector/Prorector of the University of Jena several times, and from 1856 he was full professor of the Faculty of Law and the Schöffenstuhl.
Prof. Guyeth was an authority in the field of procedural law.
Karl Julius Guyet died in Jena on April 8, 1861.
© Ch. Apfel
Emanuel Sinowiewitsch Rabinowitsch (1850–1884)
Rabinowitsch, of Jewish descent, was born in Kherson, Russia.
He was a journalist and it can be assumed that he was in the practice of his profession in 1884 in Jena.
He was married to Minna née Stanislawsky, that can be inferred from the civil death register.
According to the inscription on his gravestone, his parents and one brother were still alive at the time of his death.
The Hebrew inscription on the west side of the pedestal follows the "form", i.e. the basic pattern of Hebrew tomb inscriptions. We do not know who thought about and executed these inscriptions, which indicate the exact knowledge and deep relations with Jewish rituals.
Unfortunately, we cannot answer any of the questions why Rabinowitsch was in Jena, nor about the cause of his early death and why he was buried as a Jew in the Johannis cemetery, since no sources could be found for this.
© B. Jelke, gekürzt: Ch. Apfel
Friedrich Siegmund Voigt (1781–1850)
Voigt was born on 1 Oct 1781 in Gotha. His father, the mathematician and later Jena professor Johann Heinrich Voigt (1751-1823), the mother, Charlotte Eleonore Hediwg née Blumenbach (1727-1794), was the daughter of the prorector at the Gymnasium in Gotha Heinrich Blumenbach (1709-1787).
In 1789 he came to Jena with his father when he was appointed to the alma mater.
He studied natural sciences . In 1893 he received a doctorate in philosophy and habilitated as a private lecturer in botany. He began lecturing in the fall semester of 1804.
Goethe became aware of him because he spread Goethe's methamorphosis doctrine through words and writings. Goethe promoted him strongly, so that he could undertake several study trips, among other things, to Paris, London Florence and Rome from 1809. On his travels he also met with Humboldt, Jussieu and Cuvier.
In 1810 he was appointed as a full professor, received the title of a Bergrat and later that of a Sächsisch-Weimarischen Geheimen Hofrat.
In 1827 he called himself professor of medicine and in 1835 professor of medicine and botany.
He was married to Susette von Loevenich.
Due to the turmoil of the Battle of Jena and Auerststedt, in which the Botanical Garden at the Fürstengraben suffered severe war damage and the director, Franz-Josef Schelver (1778-1832) had left the city in flight, Friedrich Siegmund Voigt became director of the Botanical Garden on Goethe's recommendation.
He rebuilt the botanical garden and designed it according to new principles (Jussieu's system), always accompanied by Goethe's interest and participation.
Voigt was a member of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen and in 1821 he was elected a member of Leopldina.
Friedrich Siegmund Voigt died in Jena on December 10, 1850.
Johann Christian Friedrich Körner (1778 – 1847)
Hereditary burial place of the tanner family Eckardt
Friedrich Christian Eckardt (1726–1791)
Marie Susanne Eckardt, geb. Etzdorf (unbek.–1750), 1. Ehefrau
Sophie Marie Eckardt, geb Reinhardt (unbek.–1790), 2. Ehefrau
Friedrich Johann Georg Eckardt (1767–1786), Sohn des Friedrich
Christian Eckardt und der Marie Sophie, geb. Reinhardt
Johannes Reinhold Louis Eckardt (1852–1932)
Louise Eckardt, geb. Goßler
(1860–1935), Ehefrau des J.Louis Eckardt
Here rest the bones of Mr. Christian Friedrich Eckardt, E.H.St. Rathes zu Jena Ober=Kämmerers und Gerichts=Schöppens, as well as Ober=Aeltesten des Ehrsammen Loh=Gerber=Hand=Werckes allhier zu Jena. his Hr. father was: Joh. George Eckardt a faithful school teacher at Linda, where he was born ao. 1726, d. 9 Decbr. He married for the first time ao. 1749 d. 17. Novbr: with Susanen Marien Etzdorffin, from Pößneck, from whom he had a son, Adolph Adam Christian anno. 1750 d. 21 Octbr. was born, but since the mother died d. 22 Octbr. cj. a., he became a widower, and lost ao. 1765 d. 30 Apr: also this child by death. For the second time he married ao. 1751 d. 25 Octbr: with Marien Sophien Reinhardtin, Hr. Daniel Reinhardts, Amts=Gerichts=Schöppens, Bürgers und Lo=Gerber=Ober=Meisters zu Eckardsberge eheleibl: einzige Tochter. In this marriage lived ... 39 years, and begat 5 sons and 2 daughters, of which 2 sons are still alive, which have been given to their parents, but the others died earlier than the parents, and one son Joh: George Fried: rests here with them. When at the end of 1790, Apr. 28, a stroke also tore this wife in the 58th year of her age from his side; this shook his health so that he also succeeded her in 1791, Sept. 2, by death and thus brought his age, in which he had 4 children, to 64 years. 38 weeks. O! so may my soul also die the death of the righteous and may my end be like this end. Symb: What you do, consider the end.
Tanning or red tanning is a special form of tanning that processed cattle hides into durable, strong leathers that were used for shoe soles, boots, saddles or satchels.
© Ch. Apfel