Johann Lauterbach

   * unknown

   † 26.08.1719 in Jena


Johann Lauterbach is the son of Johann Lauterbach from Naumburg.

He was married to Anna Magdalena, née Kühnel, the daughter of the Capell director August Kühne.

In Jena he was active as Magister, Rector and philosophical adjunct.

The Lauterbach coffin is located in the eastern part of the cemetery in the grave house at the lower entrance Philosophenweg.

Originally, according to site plans from 1811, this sarcophagus was located north of the Friedenskirche, freestanding in the churchyard. It was moved to this empty burial house in 1938, during the construction of today's Str.d.17. Juni, through the middle of the cemetery in the direction of Weimar, in order to prevent further damage.

This sarcophagus was designed by Schlüter's student Johann Samuel Nahl. Schlüter created his famous death masks at the Zeughaus Berlin.

The sculptural work of the sarcophagus is of high artistic quality. The sarcophagus stands on four feet in the form of skulls. Scrollwork, cartouches, acanthus foliage form the rich decoration. The life data of Johann Lauterbach have been read on large central panels.

But already around 1900 the art historian Prof. Dr. P.Lehfeld stated in his book documentation "Bau und Kunstdenkmäler Thüringens" that this sarcophagus was in a deplorable condition. Measures for the preservation of this rarity, which is unique for the Thuringian region, are necessary.

© E.Bock/Ch. Apfel

The double station tablet


The Gothic stone tablet stands at the entrance of the Philosopher's Path, in the eastern part of the St. John's Cemetery, opposite the Lauterbach burial house.

The station tablet is the oldest monument in the St. John's Cemetery. It was moved from the area of the cemetery that fell victim to the road construction - today's B 88 to Weimar - in 1938. It used to stand near the Catholic Church.

It is a double station plaque. In relief, on the south side, is the 3rd station, the Carrying of the Cross. Jesus, collapsing under the cross, surrounded by seven figures. Below are the words "help jhs maria". On the north side, the 12th station, Jesus dying on the cross. On his right is his mother Mary, on his left is John the Evangelist and at his feet is Mary Magdalene.

On the east side is Peter with the key, in which especially the strange foot position is strikingly depicted. To the west is Paul with the sword.

It is unclear whether there were other double station tablets. Tablets like this one stood at a Way of the Cross or Passion, which was meant to relive Jesus' condemnation to crucifixion. In the 14th century, 7 Stations of the Cross were common, meant to recall the 7 Roman Stations Churches and the 7 hour prayers. By 1600, the Stations of the Cross already included 12 stations.

1625 14 stations, which are still common in the Catholic Church and are walked with special prayers.

The tablet stands on an octagonal pillar of limestone and is covered with a protective roof. Below the depiction of the crucifixion, on the pillar, one can read the name of the donor "Hans Groning", a Jena clothier. Below it, on the right, the year 1484 and on the left, the stonemason's mark of Peter Heierließ. This sign can also be found in several places in the Jena city church St. Michael and the church in Wenigenjena.

© E. Bock



   Familys gravesite of the Loening family

   Dr. Friedrich Carl Loening

   * 04.08.1810 in Mannheim

   † 06.03.1884 in Jena

   Publishing booksellers

     Prof. Richard Loening

           * 17.08.1848 in Frankfurt/Main

     † 18.09.11913 in Jena


     Margarethe Loening, geb. Heinze

     * 03.03.1858 in Dresden

     † 07.07.1928 in Jena

     The wife

Two plain bronze plaques, surrounded by dense ivy, indicate the gravesites of Richard (1848-1913) and Margarethe (1858-1926) Loening. Behind it a stone stele, on it a stone laurel wreath, an inscription is no longer recognizable. Here rests Richard Loening's father, the Frankfurt publishing bookseller Carl Friedrich Loening, who died in Jena in 1884. When Richard Loening was born in Frankfurt am Main as the third child of a former Jewish family, it still bore the name Löwenthal. It was not until ten years later that his father adopted the new family name, which lives on to this day in the name of the publishing house Rütten und Loening, founded together with Joseph Rütten in 1844, initially as the Literarische Anstalt. Like his older brother, Edgar Loening, who later became a university professor in Halle, Richard Loening studied law, first in Heidelberg and then in Berlin, where he completed his studies with a doctorate. After his habilitation at the University of Heidelberg, he was appointed to the University of Jena in 1882, where he held the chair of criminal law, criminal and civil procedure as a full professor until his death and was regarded as a representative of the so-called historical school. In addition, he dedicated himself to the transformation of the University of Jena from a traditional state-like structure to a modern state institution, at the turn of the 20th century. He was to be elected rector of the Salana three times, the last time in 1907, having previously co-authored the new university statute that introduced a one-year rector's term for the first time in the university's history.His marriage to Margarethe Heinze in 1877 also produced three children.Two of them are commemorated by the cast-iron plaques on the wall, surrounded by ivy: Elisabeth, born in 1880 and deceased in 1940, and Hans, born in 1882 and killed in action in 1915, to which the Iron Cross on the gravestone bears silent witness.The youngest son Hellmuth, born in 1891, was later to render outstanding services as a lawyer in the establishment of an independent judiciary after the Second World War.

© St. Danz



Dr. Carl Friedrich Zeiß

* 11.09.1816 in Weimar

† 03.12.1888 in Jena

University mechanic, company founder


Carl Zeiss came from a family of craftsmen in Weimar; his father was a master court turner. After graduating from high school, Carl Zeiss served an apprenticeship with the court mechanic and private lecturer at the University of Jena, Dr. Friedrich Körner, and attended lectures in natural science subjects. He spent two years traveling through Germany as a journeyman craftsman until 1845, expanding his knowledge, especially in mechanics. Back in Jena, he again attended lectures in mathematics and chemistry. He acquired citizenship in Jena and opened his first workshop here. From 1847 onwards, first simple, later also compound microscopes were manufactured, which Carl Zeiss exported throughout Europe. He was appointed deputy calibrator of the city of Jena.1860 saw his appointment as university mechanic. The hiring of physicist Ernst Abbe as an employee laid the foundation for scientific equipment manufacturing and the global success of the Zeiss Company, which is still based in Jena today. In 1880, Carl Zeiss received an honorary doctorate from the University of Jena.


In 1849, he married his first wife, Bertha, who died giving birth to their son. In 1853 he married Ottilie Trinkler, a descendant of Martin Luther. Together they had three children. The tombstone, a polished granite obelisk, bears the portrait medallion of Carl Zeiss with biographical data on the front. Below it are the dates of the life of his second wife Ottilie and the memory of his first wife Berta.


The reverse bears a saying by his friend Johann Stickel: "A noble man, like few he has accomplished great things; on generations he continues to work in blessing."

In 1978, the then general director of VEB Carl Zeiss Jena attempted to move the gravestone to the municipal northern cemetery of the city of Jena without the knowledge of the parish. The two pastors of the Friedenskirche were able to prevent this, but had to accept the conversion of the grave site into a memorial. On the occasion of the 200th birthday of Carl Zeiss, the original grave site was restored in 2016, and the obelisk was returned to its original place on the grave. In Jena, a square, a promenade and a street commemorate Carl Zeiss.

© Ch. Apfel

Carl Ludwig Maurer

 * 24.07.1850 in Jena

 † 31.03.1913 in Jena

  Berry orchardist


Heinrich Ludwig Maurer rendered great services to fruit growing. In addition to the cultivation and breeding of soft fruits, his nursery included a large assortment of hazelnuts and walnuts. Initially, Heinrich Ludwig Maurer worked as an assistant in the Berlin Botanical Garden. In 1842, he went to Jena and founded a fruit and woody plant nursery there. He created the basis for a huge range of soft fruits, especially an extensive range of gooseberries, which was the largest in Germany at the time. The Grand Duke of Weimar appointed Maurer as Grand Ducal Court Gardener in 1857.


His son Heinrich Maurer completed an apprenticeship in fruit growing in Reutlingen. He then worked for two years in his father's soft fruit nursery in Jena. Later, like his father before him, he worked in Berlin as an assistant in the botanical garden as well as in the gardener's training school in Wildpark near Potsdam. In 1873 he was appointed Grand Ducal Garden Director and Head of the Botanical Garden in Jena, where he was particularly active in enriching the Botanical Garden's biodiversity. In 1886, after the death of his father, he took over his father's soft fruit nursery. Especially his achievements in the field of breeding, preservation and improvement of proven currant and gooseberry varieties brought him much appreciation and honors nationally and internationally. Today, the Maurerstrasse in Jena commemorates father and son of this gardening dynasty.

The burial place of the Maurer family is a tomb designed in the classicist style with pediment and columns, the material is granite. On the wall there is an iron plaque with four classicist rosettes. On it is a simple inscription: Heinrich Maurer family. Next to the right column there is an iron plaque with the inscription for the junior "Carl Ludwig Heinrich Maurer, Grand Ducal Garden Inspector" and with his life data. It was donated to the greatest berry fruit gardener of Germany by his Reich German and Austrian friends in veneration and gratitude.

© U. Marx

   Julius Schnauß

   * 07.07.1827 in Weimar

   † 06.12.1895 in Jena



Julius Schnauss was five years old when his father Karl August Constantin Schnauss, court advisor in Weimar and godson of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, died. His mother moved with him from Weimar to Rudolstadt, where Julius attended the princely grammar school. Later he studied physics and chemistry in Jena. Due to his severe hearing loss since childhood, which later turned into deafness, he was only able to complete his school and university years through private lessons and self-study. He received support for his private studies and laboratory work from his childhood friend Hermann Schaeffer (1824-1900), who later worked as a physicist in Jena.


The newly emerging discoveries in the field of photographic chemistry captured the interest of Julius Schnauß and prompted him to purchase a photographic apparatus. With this he carried out all the laborious exercises and experiments on which a self-taught photographer had to rely.


In 1855, the "Photographic-Chemical Institute of Dr. Julius Schnauss in Jena" was founded. This was the first technical school for training photographers in Germany. His research and new developments in the field of photography as well as analyses of photographic recipes and preparations were published in many technical books, which were also translated into other languages. His main work was the "Photographische Lexikon" published in 1860. It is still worth remembering his early publication, which was connected with his severe hearing loss: "A word about sign language in general and about a practical finger alphabet in particular".

In 1857, Schnauß founded "Der Allgemeine Deutsche Photographen-Verein" (The General German Photographers' Association), which he led as chairman. He also published the first photographic journal in Germany. In the obituary of the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina in Halle, of which Schnauss had been a member since 1862, it was pointed out that Julius Schnauss was the first to provide scientific explanations for photographic processes.

© B. Flößner


   Carl Christian Ludwig Timler

    * 10.07.1836 in Jena

    † 10.02.1905 in Jena



After leaving school, Carl Timler completed an apprenticeship as a bricklayer and stonemason with his father in Jena. This was later followed by training at the Königliche Baugewerkschule in Munich. In 1856 he worked as a construction foreman on the restoration of Wartburg Castle. After Carl Timler passed the master's examination as a mason and stonemason, he attended the Royal Building Academy in Berlin. After successfully graduating, he went on study trips to Italy and Greece. In 1861 he returned to Jena with a richly filled traveling portfolio and sketchbooks, especially with the knowledge of the ideal art creations of the two classical countries. In the same year he married Friederike Habermas, the daughter of a master shoemaker from Eisenach. The marriage produced 11 children.


Within the four decades of Carl Timler's architectural work, numerous residential houses and villas were built. His work includes designs and execution of economic and commercial buildings, schools, parks and cemeteries, chapels and churches. In Jena, the savings bank building at Ludwig-Weimar-Gasse 5, the Timler Pavilion opposite the Powder Tower, his residence at Paradiesstrasse 3 and the "Sachsenhaus" next to it are still preserved today and are characteristic of the cityscape.

For several decades, Carl Timler gave drawing lessons for prospective building technicians and architects on Sundays at the Gewerbliche Fortbildungsschule. He also taught talented young people privately, often free of charge.

During his many years as a member of the city council, his words and factual considerations were of great weight in the contemporary transformation of the city. It is thanks to his influence that the Johannistor was preserved.

The front of the dark granite tombstone in the shape of an obelisk is decorated with a portrait medallion showing the bearded face of Carl Timler.

His work is commemorated by the Timlerweg in Jena.

© B. Flößner


Caroline von Wolzogen, geb. von Lengefeld,

 gesch. von Beulwitz

 * 03.02.1763 in Rudolstadt

 † 11. 01. 1847 in Jena

 Writer, Biographer of Schiller


Caroline von Wolzogen had an eventful life. Born Caroline von Lengefeld in an enlightened home, she received an extensive education with her sister Charlotte. Impoverished by the sudden death of her father, she married Karl Ludwig von Beulwitz at the age of 21, although she did not love him. In doing so, she saved the family from financial ruin. Her mother and her sister Charlotte lived with him in his house in Rudolstadt, today's Schiller Museum. There, in November 1787, came her cousin Wilhelm von Wolzogen with his friend Friedrich Schiller, who felt comfortable among educated women. The following year, Schiller returned to Rudolstadt for a longer period of time and lived in nearby Volkstedt. There were frequent meetings between Caroline von Beulwitz, Charlotte von Lengefeld and Friedrich Schiller. At times they dreamed of a life as a threesome. In 1790 Charlotte and Friedrich Schiller married. Caroline von Beulwitz traveled to Bauerbach with her cousin Wilhelm von Wolzogen; she was pregnant. Shortly after their divorce in September 1794, Caroline entered into marriage with Wilhelm von Wolzogen, who acknowledged paternity over their son Adolf. Here in Bauerbach she wrote her first novel "Agnes von Lilien" which established her fame as a writer. In other stories, she addressed the triangular conflict she had experienced with Schiller and Charlotte. In 1809, her husband Wilhelm von Wolzogen had died. In 1821, her son Adolf died in an accident, and she found it difficult to cope with his death. She got over the loss by working on the edition of letters Schiller - Goethe. In 1830, after Schiller's death, she wrote a widely acclaimed biography of him. Caroline von Wolzogen outlived her family and friends by many years. When she died, she was buried opposite Knebel's grave as she wished, with great sympathy from the people of Jena: "If I die in Jena, my grave shall be at the top of the wall where von Knebel lies." The serpentine grave cross for Caroline von Wolzogen, standing on a sandstone pedestal, bears her life data on the front. On the back is the inscription "She erred, suffered, loved and passed away in faith in Christ, the merciful love."

© Ch. Apfel

Karl Ludwig von Knebel

* 30.11.1744 at Wallerstein Castle /Franconia

† 23.02.1834 in Jena

 Poet, prince educator


Karl Ludwig von Knebel studied law in Halle. He broke off his studies and became a Prussian officer in 1765. During this time he translated Roman classics and began his own poetry. In 1773 he finished his military service and went to Weimar, as his sister was a governess at the Weimar court of princes.

There he was appointed by Duchess Anna Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach as court master to educate Prince Constantin. He accompanied Princes Ernst August and Constantin on their Grand Tour. In the process, he introduced the princes to Johann Wolfgang Goethe in Frankfurt. Goethe was invited to Weimar. And when he moved to Weimar, he became Knebel's best friend, the original friend. Karl Ludwig von Knebel was an important companion for Goethe and Herder in their creative work.

At the age of 54, Knebel married Luise von Rudorf (1777-1852), 33 years his junior, a popular Weimar chamber singer and former mistress of Duke Karl August. From him she had a son, Karl Wilhelm von Knebel (1796-1861), whom Knebel adopted. Their son Bernhard Carl Maximilian von Knebel (1813-1844) lived with his parents until his death in 1844.

The adopted son, Major Karl Wilhelm von Knebel (1796-1861), was married twice. His child from his first marriage died after one year, and the marriage was divorced shortly thereafter. His second marriage to Emilie Trautmann (1807-1888) produced three children: Malwine, married Buchholz (1840-1927), whose son and husband died young, Thérèse, married Gyldén (1842-1937), and Bernhard von Knebel (1846-1863). Bernhard von Knebel was a page at the Weimar court. He shot himself because, as the biological grandson of a duke, he did not want to be a "princely servant."


Thérèse's husband, Hugo Gyldén, was from Helsinki and was an astronomer. They had five children together, two of whom - Frieda and Einar - are also buried in St. John's Cemetery. The names of the Knebel family members are inscribed on light-colored marble medallions on the western wall of the cemetery.

The family is commemorated in Jena by Knebelstraße.

© Ch. Apfel

Johanna Henriette Schopenhauer, geb. Trosiener

* 09.07.1766 in Danzig

† 16.04.1838 in Jena

Writer, salonnière, mother of Arthur Schopenhauer


As the daughter of a wealthy merchant family in Gdansk, Johanna Schopenhauer received an above-average education for girls of that time from the age of four. At the age of 19 she is married to the big merchant Heinrich Schopenhauer and has to give up her wish to become a painter. She enjoys the life of a rich wife and surrounds herself with copper engravings, busts and a reference library. She travels a lot with her husband and thus grows into the role of a salonnière. In 1788 their son Arthur is born in Danzig. In 1793, the Schopenhauers move to Hamburg to escape the Prussian regulations in Danzig. There their daughter Adele is born in 1797. From 1803 the family travels again. Here the foundation is laid for her later travel narratives, which make her famous. Her husband Heinrich slowly goes deaf and becomes a difficult partner, dying in an accident in 1805. As a widow, Johanna Schopenhauer can now make her own decisions about her life; she has no money worries. While son Arthur remains in Hamburg, she moves with her daughter to Weimar in 1806. She is able to avert the looting by the French in the same year thanks to her language skills; she helps the population with food and bandages. As a result, she quickly earns a good reputation in Weimar. All Weimar personalities come to her weekly tea parties, which soon become the social center outside the court.

Due to the bankruptcy of the banking house to which she had entrusted her money, she finds herself in financial difficulties, which she is able to alleviate through her work as a writer. With her son, who does not accept the mother as head of the family, there is a total break. In 1822 she suffers a stroke and moves to Bonn with her daughter in the hope of recovery, but this does not come to pass. A petition to Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna for a pension is granted, but it is connected with the move to Jena in 1837. Here Johanna Schopenhauer dies of a stroke of nerves in 1838. The tombstone for Johanna Schopenhauer is a reclining sandstone slab. It is decorated with a raised stone butterfly.

© Ch. Apfel