Karl August von Hase
* 25.08.1800 in Niedersteinach
† 03.01.1890 in Jena
Amalie Pauline von Hase, geb. Härtel
* 12.04.1809 in Leipzig
† 20.03.1885 in Jena
Karl von Hase contributed to the reputation of Jena University as a church historian for over 50 years and at the end of his life he received the same honors as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, including the hereditary title of nobility.
When Karl Hase is three years old, his father dies.
Karl is raised by relatives in Altenburg. He begins to study law in Leipzig and becomes a member of the banned fraternities. Because of his political commitment he is expelled from the University of Leipzig, and as a theology student also from the universities of Erlangen and Tübingen, where he is also imprisoned for three months. He qualified as a theologian in Leipzig and was appointed to Jena in 1829.
In 1831 he marries Pauline Härtel, the sister of his Leipzig friend; they have seven children. Karl Hase endeavored to present the history of the church in a comprehensible way; for him, church history was part of general education. With his widely published books on church history and research into the life of Jesus Christ, he influenced generations of pastors into the 20th century, including, for example, the Nobel Prize winner Albert Schweitzer.
Karl Hase advocated German unity, attending sessions of the National Assembly in Frankfurt's Paulskirche in 1848 and welcoming the formation of the German Empire in 1871. As a representative of the University of Jena, he paid homage to the emperor after his coronation and to the imperial couple at their golden wedding anniversary. For the funeral service of Jena's honorary citizen Karl von Hase on January 6, 1890, a flag of mourning was displayed at the town hall.
The classicist sandstone tomb with four columns and a pediment bears a white marble medallion on the front, which shows a double portrait of the Hase couple. Karl von Hase is commemorated in Jena by his oil painting in the auditorium of the university, the student house "Karl von Hase", his monument in the Fürstengraben and the Von-Hase-Weg. From the extended Hase family came brave resisters against the Hitler dictatorship: General Karl von Hase, a grandson, was executed after the failed July assassination attempt in 1944, The great-grandson, the theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer, was executed in Flossenbürg concentration camp in 1945.
© Th. Peschke
* 21.05.1873 in Neuseß/Coburg
† 01.06.1941 in Jena
Psychiatrist, professor, discoverer of the EEG
Hans Berger grew up in an educated middle-class family. His father was the Medical Councillor Paul Friedrich Berger, physician and director of the Coburg State Hospital. And his maternal grandfather was the poet and professor of Oriental studies Friedrich Rückert (1788-1866), translator of Persian and Arabic literature.
The doctor's son Hans Berger attended the Coburg grammar school with good results. He studied natural sciences and matriculated for medicine in Berlin. He also attended lectures in Kiel, Würzburg and Jena, where he passed the state examination and received his doctorate in 1897. In the same year he got a job as a physician at the Jena Nervenklinik. From the beginning, he was interested in the study of the cerebral cortex, to which he attributed all mental processes in humans. By measuring the cerebral blood flow, he was able to record the brain's reactions to arithmetic tasks, the administration of medication, fright situations and pain stimuli.
In 1911 he married Ursula Freiin von Bülow and had four children with her. She had worked as a technical assistant at the clinic. After the start of World War I, Berger was drafted as a staff physician in August 1914 and was not discharged from active duty with honors until 1918. He rejoined the university, and from 1919 was full professor of psychiatry at the Nervenklinik. In addition to his clinical activities as a physician, he continued his research on the cerebral cortex and, in collaboration with technicians from the Zeiss factory, was able to provide reliable evidence of brain waves for the first time. His first description of the human brain wave image was initially met with rejection by his German colleagues.
In England and the USA, his findings had caught the attention had become aware of his results more quickly. Upon reaching the age limit Hans Berger was dismissed from the university in 1938. He died in 1941 by suicide, probably as a result of severe depression. The developer of electroencephalography, or EEG for short, did not live to see his groundbreaking for his groundbreaking discovery. Today, the EEG is a generally recognized method in neurological diagnostics. In Jena, Hans Berger is commemorated by Berger is commemorated by a street and the Neurology Clinic named after him.
© Ch. Apfel
Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner
* 13.12.1780 in Hof
† 24.03.1849 in Jena
The appointment of the self-taught Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner as a pharmacist to the University of Jena was unusual even for the 19th century. His parents, his father was a coachman, enabled him to train as a provisional pharmacist despite their poor circumstances. After his wandering years, he lacked the money to buy a pharmacy. During his employment as a technician in a cotton factory and in a brewery, he developed technological improvements, which he published. These technical articles recommended him as the successor to Johann Friedrich August Göttling, a professor of chemistry who died in Jena in 1809. Döbereiner was the first professor in Germany to introduce chemical practicals. He discovered that hydrogen and oxygen in the presence of platinum develop such heat that the platinum begins to glow without burning itself, but ignites the hydrogen in the process. The heterogeneous catalysis process he discovered is used to produce most of the world's chemical products today. Döbereiner was also the first to recognize a systematic relationship between the chemical elements and arranged them into groups of three. From this, the periodic table of the elements was developed 40 years later. Together with Friedrich Körner, who later taught Carl Zeiss, he undertook melting experiments to improve the optical properties of glass. This aroused Goethe's interest, for whom he also carried out chemical analyses of rocks and minerals. The world's first dextrose factory in Tiefurt was also Döbereiner's achievement. Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner did not become rich, as he left the marketing of his achievements to others. Throughout his life, he was forced to be extremely frugal in order to feed his family of eleven. Two of his sons followed in his footsteps as chemists. The large Döbereiner lecture hall with its monument in front of it, the Döbereiner pharmacy and a street named after him keep his memory alive in Jena. The current gravestone of the Döbereiner family grave replaces the three gravestones destroyed by bombs in 1945 for the nine family members buried in this cemetery.
© Th. Peschke
Johann Christian Stark I
* 13.01.1753 in Oßmannstedt
† 11.01.1811 in Jena
Johann Christian Stark II
* 30.10.1769 in Klein-Cromsdorf
† 24.12.1837 in Jena
* 12.08.1831 in Heusdorf/Apolda
† 30.05.1898 in Jena
art historian, university professor
The physician Johann Christian Stark had received his doctorate from the University of Jena. As a university lecturer, he advocated a comprehensive medical education combined with strongly practice-oriented teaching. Stark was personal physician to Duchess Anna Amalia and Duke Carl August of Saxony-Weimar-Eisenach. Friedrich Schiller and the von Goethe family also valued his medical skills. Stark achieved local fame in 1783 by successfully performing a Caesarean delivery on a Weimar court lady. In 1804, he became a privy councillor and director of the maternity hospital in Jena. Due to his tireless care of the wounded during the Battle of Jena, Napoleon awarded him the Cross of the Legion of Honor, the Order of Merit of the Légion d'honneur, in addition to a pension in 1808. Johann Christian Stark had married Louise Friederike Christiane Polz, the daughter of the theologian Christian Friedrich Polz, in 1783. Of their joint daughters, Amalie married the jurist Friedrich Ortloff (1797-1868) and Louise married the naturalist Lorenz Oken (1779-1851).
Friedrich Klopfleisch, who had a wide range of interests, studied medicine, natural sciences, aesthetics, archaeology, poetry, education and philosophy in Jena and Munich from 1852. He received his doctorate from the Faculty of Philosophy in Jena in 1856 and habilitated in art history three years later. In 1862 he married Helene Selma Stark, a granddaughter of the physician Johann Christian Stark. Klopfleisch's commitment to the art history of his homeland resulted in the state-mandated work of recording the architectural and artistic monuments of Thuringia, which he headed for two years in 1884. In addition, he succeeded in founding a Germanic Museum in 1863 and integrating this collection on the prehistory and early history of Central Germany, which still exists today, into the University of Jena. The basis for this was his own collection. Friedrich Klopfleisch had recognized the fundamental importance of pottery "as one of the guiding factors" for the chronological division of prehistory and early history. The terms "corded and ribbon pottery" originate from him.
In Jena, the Klopfleisch Street commemorates the Stark/Klopfleisch family association.
© M. Röppnack
* 22.01.1815 in Pegau
† 23.01.1885 in Jena
The pedagogue Karl Volkmar Stoy had studied theology, philology and philosophy in Leipzig and Göttingen. After receiving his doctorate, he taught at the Bendersche Privaterziehungsanstalt in Weinheim from 1839-42. In 1843 Stoy habilitated with a thesis on Plato at the University of Jena and taught philosophy and pedagogy, first as a private lecturer and later as a full honorary professor. Stoy broke new ground in the education of students, mainly theologians, in 1844 with the founding of the University Pedagogical Seminary with an attached elementary school. There, classes were taught solely by the seminarians. Thus, the prospective teachers received a practical pedagogical education that went beyond the mere imparting of knowledge in the lectures. In 1858, the new building of the seminary school was inaugurated, which Stoy named Johann-Friedrichs-Schule after the founder of Jena University. Karl Volkmar Stoy also ran a private educational institute and school in Jena from 1844-68, where children from six to 17 were educated. The "Stoy Institute" was reopened by his son Johann Heinrich Stoy (1846-1905) in April 1880. Due to the lack of state support for the Pedagogical Seminar, Karl Volkmar Stoy went to Heidelberg in 1866, where he taught at the newly created Chair of Pedagogy. The Pedagogical Seminar in Jena was dissolved after his departure and the seminar school continued as a municipal citizen school. In 1874, Stoy returned to Jena to re-establish the pedagogical seminar. As founder and director of the pedagogical seminar, Stoy rendered great service to teacher training and contributed significantly to establishing pedagogy as an independent science. His idea was to grasp and shape school holistically, which is reflected today in the "dual system". The gravesite of the Stoy family is located next to the passage in the old west wall of the cemetery. The State Vocational School Center named after Karl Volkmar Stoy with its monument, Stoystraße and his monument in via triumphalis, the Fürstengraben, keep his memory alive.
© I. Behlert
Carl Friedrich Ernst Frommann
* 14.09.1765 in Zülichau (today Poland)
After an apprenticeship in Berlin, Carl Frommann worked in his father's publishing business in Züllichau, near Frankfurt an der Oder. In 1786 he took over the management of the family business. In addition to theology and philosophy, he expanded the product range to include school and language dictionaries. Frommann hoped that the university life in Jena and nearby classical Weimar would boost his publishing work, and in 1798 he moved the company headquarters to Jena. A year later, he was granted the privilege of opening an additional printing shop.
Carl Frommann lived in the house on Fürstengraben, which is still named after him, from 1800 to 1830. Many renowned authors of the Weimar Classicism and German Romanticism were guests there and thus his house became the social center in Jena. In addition to natural scientists, composers and painters, his circle of friends included the physician Christoph Wilhelm Hufeland, the writer Karl Ludwig von Knebel, the poet Ludwig Tieck, the philosophers Friedrich Hegel and Friedrich Schelling, and the classical scholar Johann Diederich Gries. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe also stayed here regularly. This relationship developed in a particularly friendly way in 1806/1807, when Goethe felt inspired by Frommann's foster daughter Wilhelmine Herzlieb, which is reflected in the character of Ottilie in Goethe's last novel "Die Wahlverwandtschaften".
Carl Frommann was married to Johanna Wesselhöfft (1765-1830). Their son Friedrich Johannes (1797-1886) worked in the family business from 1823. Frommann withdrew from the publishing house in 1830. His son took over the management of the publishing business in 1837. The former Frommann publishing house still exists today under the name frommann-holzboog-Verlag, based in Stuttgart, publishing mainly works in the humanities.
The city of Leipzig awarded the publisher Carl Frommann honorary citizenship in 1836. In Jena, Carl Frommann is commemorated by his home and a street named after him.
© I. Behlert
Former hereditary burial place Besell/Betzelt/Grabhaus
In the course of new research in the church records it could be determined that the name Bezelt/Bezin/Bezold was written. Only for Bezelt a family could be proved for the time of the grave house.
The brothers Hans Bezelt a tailor († May 6, 1638 in Jena) and his brother, Peter Bezelt, a balber/bather/surgeon († February 11, 1659 in Jena) came according to church records from Mühlhausen/Prussia and became citizens of Jena. However, only Peter Bezelt seems to have founded a family in Jena.
Peter Bezelt married on November 20, 1637 Elisabeth Zahn, the daughter of the white tanner and town administrator Martin Zahn from Jena, born on October 20, 1616. There were 9 children born in the marriage, some of whom died shortly after birth. The family lived in the Leutergasse in Jena.
Peter Bezelt died as a court barber on February 11, 1659.
Elisabeth Bezelt married in second marriage the barber Christoph Gittner from Breithon an der Oder/Schlesien and died on April 8, 1685 in Jena.
The last family member, daughter Anna Elisabetha Betzeldin, born April 7, 1641, "Hrn. Peter Betzelts nachgelassene Tochter" died in 1709. Then the record for the family expires. It can be assumed that the grave house belonged to the family. From the brother Hans Bezelt no further data could be found.
Inherited burial Weimar
After that the grave house was given as hereditary burial to the family Johann Christoph Friedrich Weimar (1766-1838) wife Johanna Magdalena Friedericke Weimar (née Grellmannn, 1782-1828).
The classicist pedestal bears an inscription surrounded by draperies and skulls. There are inscription plaques on the sides. The upper pedestal is flanked by two seated children and a kneeling woman. Above arranged on a skeleton an angel, which is badly damaged.
Above: Man! / Thou who art mortal contemplate here dying, who here goest stand!
left: Will you O mortal. To the righteous come, so be righteousness here, your angel - star. That he who lives righteously here before he is taken away will live in righteousness there to the Lord.
Right: hope lives here what God has long since prepared What still his ear has heard, his heart has felt. What no eye has seen. Whom thus hope leads, follow, for he will be ushered into heaven.
center: Here rests in God .... Weimar b. d. .... d. d. 14. May 18... .... Weimar née Grellmann ..... b. d. April 2, 1782. d. April 28, 1828.
Johann Christoph Friedrich Weimar
* 11.04.1766 in Jena
† 14.05.1838 in Jena STB 1838/193, 71
Cloth merchant, master clothier; councilor;
Son of Johann Christian Weimar, a councillor, head of the caste and senior clothier;
His first marriage was to Johanna Henrietta Susanna, née Herwarth, daughter of Georg Friedrich Herwarth, owner of the "Schwarzer Bär" inn, In second marriage with
Johanna, Friedericka, Magdalena, née Grellmann
* 02.04.1782 in Jena
† 28.04.1828 in Jena
The worsted spinning mill founded by Johann Christoph Friedrich Weimar in 1820 in Camsdorf just outside Jena was continued by his son Eduard Weimar. The first Jena steam engine was put into operation here in 1864.
ca.1502 - 1556,
Amtsschösser/Rentmeister (Quästor) in the service of three Saxon Ernestine Electors and Dukes:
Johann der Beständige (1532-1532), Johann Friedrich I,der Großmütige (1532-1547), founder of the University of Jena and Johann Ernst I (1532-1553).
On the southern wall of the Beze(t)l Chapel, after the construction of today's Straße des 17. Juni, the very weathered Renaissance tomb of the married couple Günter and Katharina He(e)rwagen was placed.
The translated Latin text, handed down by Adrian Beier and written down by Dr. Herbert Koch reads:
Beneath this stone, which you see here, inscribed in verse,
lie the dead limbs of Günther He(e)rwagen.
He held the office of Schössers/Rentmeister at the Saxon court,
with the zeal befitting him, in righteousness and loyalty.
He was not disagreeable to you, Prince, brave John.
He was not displeasing to you, pious John Frederick.
He was gladly seen by you, noble Ernst. You, his three brothers
you too, his three brothers, that this man is no longer alive.
Rather, his soul has now passed into the heavenly hall,
among the heavenly host it lives and dwells,
until the last resurrection of the remaining members of his body...
of his body, called by the sound of the trumpet of the angels.
He died in the year of the Lord 1556, in the 54th year of his life.
He was succeeded by Catherine, his wife, in the year (after) Christ's (birth) 1559
and was buried at his side.
© Ch. Apfel, Latin translation: J. Siebert
Johann Jakob Griesbach
* 04.01.1745 in Butzbach
† 24.03.1812 in Jena
Johann Jakob Griesbach studied theology in Tübingen, Halle and Leipzig. After receiving his master's degree in 1768, he embarked on a two-year study trip to libraries in Germany, Holland, England and France, where he devoted himself in particular to the study of New Testament manuscripts. Johann Jakob Griesbach is considered a pioneer in international New Testament text research. His most important publication is the 2nd edition of the New Testament, published around 1800, with the parallel printing of the three Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke. He analyzed similarities and differences between the three texts, which were written at different times by different authors in different places in Israel, Syria and Greece. On the one hand, the textual similarities strengthen the credibility of the traditions about the life of Jesus. On the other hand, the differences in the texts point to regionally determined cultural influences in Palestine and Asia Minor. Griesbach coined the now internationally used terms synopsis for the comparison of texts and synoptics for the three Gospels. In addition, he classified the manuscripts that had preceded the Church Fathers into three text families: occidental, oriental, and Byzantine. Since 1775 Griesbach was professor in Jena, he rejected several times calls elsewhere. Also in 1775 he had married the pastor's daughter Friederike Juliane Schütz from Aschersleben. The Griesbach couple remained childless. Their foster daughter Bertha Sturm married the agronomist Friedrich Gottlob Schulze, who founded scientific agricultural education at the university in Germany; the Schulze family grave is also located at Johannisfriedhof. On the Griesbach gravesite lies a classicist sandstone gravestone with the biographical key data of the couple buried here. In Jena, the Griesbach garden house, also known as the Prinzessinnenschlösschen, commemorates the family. After Griesbach's death, the estate was acquired by the Weimar court through Grand Duchess Maria Pavlovna for her daughters, Princesses Marie and Auguste.
© Th. Peschke
Godhard Friedrich Julius Prüssing
* 25.07.1828 in Segeberg
† 09.10.1903 in Jena
Roma Prüssing, née Panzer, 1st wife
* 26.04.1826 in Penig
† 12.09.1886 in Jena
Godhard Prüssing was a trained railroad engineer and only became involved with cement in the second half of his life. He was not only a producer of this material, but also constantly researched its improvement. In 1882, he introduced an "improved Portland cement" to which he added 30 percent by mass of granulated blast furnace slag to the main ingredient of Portland cement clinker. This was seen as a violation of the "Purity Law" for Portland cement adopted in 1885 by the Association of German Cement Manufacturers, which led to many years of scientific and economic disputes. Today, according to European standards, Prüssing's cement formulation belongs to the category of Portland-composite cements, which, in contrast to pure Portland cement, may consist of several main constituents. The cement plant established in Göschwitz-Jena on Prüssing's initiative in 1886 quickly became a large operation for which Prüssing felt responsible not only as a businessman. He also took responsibility for the welfare of his employees. As a representative of a social market economy, he granted the workforce an 8-hour working day and continued payment of wages in the event of illness. He also set up relief funds and other social aid institutions. It was not for nothing that he was therefore given the nickname "Abbe von Göschwitz". This epithet refers to the industrialist Ernst Abbe, sole owner of the Carl Zeiss company since 1899 and known for his social commitment. The grave monument for Godhard Prüssing is a column of polished granite on a base of limestone with an urn standing on it, which is still decorated with two volutes of bronze. Next to the engraved dates of Godhard Prüssing's life is the saying: "Helpful, fearless and faithful." These three words aptly describe his life and work style. His ashes are kept in the urn. His first wife Roma Prüssing, who had already died in 1886, was buried by earth burial, so that the grave is a two-part resting place. In Jena, Prüssingstraße commemorates the engineer and cement manufacturer.
© E. Bock
* 08.01.1805 in Jena
† 07.06.1884 in Jena
Pedagogue, prince educator, honorary citizen of the city of Jena
Moritz Seebeck's name is inseparably linked with the history of the University of Jena in the second half of the 19th century, whose development he shaped like no other. Born in Jena as the son of the physicist Thomas Johann Seebeck, he studied classical philology in Berlin, where he first worked as a high school teacher before coming to Meiningen. There he reformed the school system in the Duchy of Saxony-Meiningen as a high school director and was in charge of the prince education of the later theater duke Georg II. In the revolutionary year of 1848, he represented the duchy as a diplomat in the Frankfurt National Assembly. Subsequently, now a Privy Councillor of State at the Weimar Court, he served as plenipotentiary for all Thuringian states in Berlin. In 1851, Moritz Seebeck took over the position of curator of the Ernestine University of Jena, which had been vacant for several years and was supported by the four Thuringian states. He was to hold this office, which is comparable to that of a university chancellor, for 26 years until his retirement in 1877. Through negotiating skills and prudent management of the meager funds, he nevertheless succeeded in expanding the university, which was suffering from poor funding at the time. Combined with a clever appointment policy, for which the names of the later Nobel Prize winner Rudolf Eucken and the physicist Ernst Abbe stand among others, as well as the founding of natural science institutes and the construction of new buildings, he laid the foundation for the beginning upswing of the Salana. He was awarded an honorary doctorate three times for his services, and in 1858 he was also made an honorary citizen of the city of Jena. The Hanfried monument on the market square, created by Friedrich Drake, also goes back to his initiative. It was erected on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the university in 1858 in memory of the founder of the university, Johann Friedrich. On the gravesite of Moritz Seebeck, a black granite obelisk with a cast-iron laurel wreath rises above a three-tiered pedestal. Below it, in gilt inscription, are the dates of Seebeck's life and that of his wife Ida, née von Krauseneck (1811-1886).
© St. Danz