Heinrich Bernhard Christian Osann
*19.09.1789 in Saaleck near Naumburg
† 02.01.1857 in Jena
Heinrich Osann was the son of the pastor from Saaleck Johann Gottlieb Osann.
From 1821, the 31-year-old Heinrich Osann worked as a provisor, i.e., he worked as a manager and administrator for Friedrich Rittler. Rittler had also been provisor to court pharmacist Wilhelmi and had been made a companion by Wilhelmi.
From 1825, both Friedrich Wilhelm Rittler and Heinrich Osann were owners of the Hofapotheke am Markt.
Rittler married the widow Friederike Magdalene Henriette Hülßner; née Fleischhauer, who brought two daughters into the marriage.
In 1827 Heinrich Osann married a stepdaughter of Rittler, Friederike Magdalena Henriette, née Hülßner.
Two daughters are known from this marriage.
1. Wilhelmine Rosalia Caroline Bernhardine (Minna) Osann. She married the merchant and Commerzienrat Ludwig
2. Rosalie Maria Emma Osann, married the council pharmacist Karl August Keydell.
© Ch. Apfel
Paul Uhle (1827-1861)
Johann Paul Uhle was born in Nossen on April 17, 1827, the son of the deacon Johann Gotthelf Uhle and his wife Antonie Ferdinande Clementine Flemming.
In 1846 Uhle began studying medicine in Leipzig, where he also joined the local medical society. After completing his studies, he stayed in Leipzig, where he worked as an assistant at the Georgen Hospital from 1851 and received his doctorate in 1852. Until 1859 he was a clinical assistant at the Jacob Hospital in Leipzig. He interrupted this activity between 1856 and 1857 for a stay of several months in Egypt. In 1859 he received a full professorship in Dorpat, which he soon gave up for health reasons.
From 1860 Uhle held the professorship for special pathology at the University of Jena, where he was also director of the medical clinic. He died of tuberculosis on November 4, 1861 in Jena.
© R. Seifert
Franz Jordan von Ried, Prof. Dr. med.
Surgeon; honorary citizen of Jena since 1882
* Feb. 11, 1810 in Kempten/Bavaria
† 11.06.1895 in Jena
The words of the then Prorector of the University of Jena on the death of Prof. em. Franz Jordan von Ried characterize his work and high reputation in Jena:
" ...The outstanding scientific achievements and the sterling character traits of the deceased do not require my praise, since the former are subject to more competent judgment, the latter are universally known..."
His father, a Royal Bavarian District Court Assessor, often had to change his place of residence for official reasons, among others to Erlangen, where he became a district and city court councilor. Here Franz attended elementary school and high school and passed the Abitur. By this time he was already an orphan, his mother having died in 1818 and his father in 1828.
In the same year he began his medical studies in Erlangen and after a short change to Würzburg he completed his studies in Erlangen in July 1832 and already graduated in September 1832 in Erlangen with the distinction "excellent".
After several assistantships, he passed the medical state examination (today's specialist examination) in Bamberg and Munich in 1835.
In 1846 he was appointed to Jena (professorship of surgery) and in that year he married Katharina Stolz from Erlangen. In the marriage 6 children were born.
Together with Dr. August Siebert, he eliminated the deficiencies at the state hospital and reorganized the clinic.
Franz Ried established the surgical department in Jena, so that the medical patients were separated from the surgical patients. He built an operating room together with August Siebert.
Ried was a member of the Senate in 1846 and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine from 1849-1883.
From 1858 he acted as director of the Surgery and Ophthalmology Clinic together with the Polyclinic of the State Hospital; he also lectured on eye-ear and skin diseases, the University of Jena had no representatives for this. Ried was a proponent of the specialization of medicine and conducted animal experiments in Jena. Franz Ried introduced chloroform and ether anesthesia.
In 1892, he was awarded the title of nobility by the Weimar court, as well as the titles of Geheimer Hofrat (Privy Councillor) and Prof. med. as well as several orders.
Franz von Ried belonged to the university for 49 years as a surgeon and representative of the new generation of physicians who had freed themselves from natural philosophical speculation. He made increasing use of scientific knowledge, e.g. morphine for pain relief, and technical achievements: stimulation current for treatment, the concave mirror for illumination at the operating table, Zeiss microscopes for tissue examination in medical practice.
Franz Jordan von Ried died at the age of 85 and was buried in the family grave next to his wife and two of his six children.
© Ch. Apfel
Georg Johann Meyer
gold- and silversmith, city judge
* 23.01.1646 in Jena
† 08.06.1710 in Jena
Here rests in God
the once noble and wise
Mr. Johann Georg Meyer
well-deserved gold and silver worker here
was born the 23.Jan.1646, married to the Jgfr. Maria Elisabetha gebohrener Krantzin, the 11.Aug.1673 and lived in happy marriage with her no longer than 1 year and 9 weeks and begot with her a daughter Barbara Catharina, of which he lived 5 children.
At the 2nd wedding he married himself the 20. Sept. 1675 with Jgfr. Dorothea drilled Wohlfeltin, was born Ao. 1658 the 20...
with whom he lived in all satisfaction
34 years 9 months and with her 9 children as
7 sons and 4 daughters. He de-
slept blessedly 1710 d. 8. June of his age
64 years 5 months. She died seel.
the 2. July 1724 of her age...
Leich Text. Joh. 5 v. 16 God so loved the world that he
God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not be tempted, but should have life.
be loosed, but have eternal
have eternal life.
© Ch. Apfel
Council chamberlain and master tanner
The oldest baroque tomb in our cemetery.
rests in his
Savior Christ Jesus
Mr: Johann Gräfe
E.E. Wohlw. Rathsober
chamberlain and tanner here
was born in 1634. the 24th of April. Has married
with Fr. Marien gebohrnen Beyerin lived 29 years and
fathered 7. children died
the 30. Octobr. 1685
of his age 51 years.
God grant him a gentle rest and a happy resurrection.
a happy resurrection.
behind: Psalm 57 V 569 "Commit thy way unto the Lord, and hope in Him: for He shall ...
A few meters to the north is the baroque tomb of
Georg August Johann Gräfe
Grandson of Johann Gräfe (1634-1685), council chamberlain and master tanner;
This tomb contains the bones of Mrs. Barbara Sophia Countess drilled Bohemian, married to Mstr. August Johann Georg Gräfen the 27. Jan. 1735.
She was born the 18. Mart. 1714 and died the 8. Jan. 1781.
Has brought her age to 66 years and 6 weeks .....
[...] of the first tanner Hn. Joh. Gräfens
born Dec. 23, 1700 and died Nov. 19, 1781
brought his age to 80 years 11 months less 4 days.
The then surviving children
Johann Friedrich August.
Both gravestones were moved to these places only after the construction of the road to Weimar in 1938. The graves were located near the catholic church.
Christian Johann W. Beyer
Brick mill owner;
* 10.05.1821 in Oberkamsdorf (Traettner estate)
© Foto: Stadtmuseum Jena † 26.12.1885 in Jena
Lizenz:CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
Widower of Priska Beyer, née Rothe
* 26.07.1834 in Kleineutersdorf
† 15.01.1866 in Jena
and since 1867 in second marriage married to Henriette Maria Ernestine, née Wetzel
* 04.09.1836 in Roschütz/Gera
† 18.01.1902 in Jena
The brick mill got its name from the neighboring brick gate and brick kiln and was given in fief by the sovereign to Heinrich Gramleib and his wife Thele in 1372.
In the Jena Geschossbuch of 1406 it is mentioned that the next tenant was Albrecht Schleiz/Slouwiez, a Jena councilor. He was mentioned in 1384 as "judge of the court of our lords, the margraves, at Jena".
The brick mill was the first mill to be reached from the town. It was one of the nine mills located on the Leutra River. The ownership of the mill was passed down through generations in the family, as late as 1526 Christina Schleiz is mentioned as a feudal lord. The brick mill was both a flour and oil mill.
Several changes of ownership followed until 1583, when Professor Matthias Köhler /Colerus bought and renovated the mill. From his heirs, the brick mill was acquired around 1616 by Professor Johann Gerhard. The importance of the Gerhard family in Jena at that time also led to the fact that the brick mill was also named "Gerhardsmühle". After the death of his widow, the mill and other property were bequeathed to his children and grandchildren.
Further sales to different owners followed.
In 1852 the owner of the brick mill was Ernst August Beyer. On October 1, he handed over the mill and fields to his brother Christian Beyer for 11,000 thalers.
In 1871 the old brick mill fell victim to a fire, but was rebuilt.
When Christian Beyer died in 1885, his son Gustav Beyer succeeded him as owner. But with the construction of the Mühltal water pipeline came the end of the Leutra mills. Gustav Beyer tried to continue operation by converting to steam operation in 1894. However, this proved to be an uneconomical venture, and operations were discontinued altogether.
© Ch. Apfel
Ignaz Franz Xaver Schömann (1807-1864)
Ignaz Franz Xaver Schömann was born in Wetzlar on May 9, 1807, the son of the jurist Franz Joseph Constantin Schömann and his wife Charlotte Reinhard. After attending grammar school in Weimar, he began studying medicine in Jena in October 1826, earning his doctorate there in 1832. He then worked as an assistant doctor at the Jena state sanatoriums. His habilitation followed in 1835. He then worked first as a private lecturer and from 1837 as an associate professor in Jena. In the course of his work at the university he gave lectures in pharmacology, surgery, bandaging techniques and ophthalmology. From 1839, Schömann was also a city and public health officer. In 1846 he was appointed full honorary professor. From April 1859 he was also director of the insane asylum in Jena.
Schömann wrote several medical textbooks, including a "Textbook of Pharmaceutics". During his life he repeatedly undertook educational journeys that took him to numerous German cities as well as to London and Paris. During a trip to Cologne, he died there on September 16, 1864 as a result of a stroke.
© R. Seifert